Monday, July 8, 2013

Errors After Installing Office Web App Server on Non-Standard Drive

I haven't come across anything noting this, but beware of installing Office Web App Server 2013 on anything other than the standard C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Web Apps on Windows Server 2012.  I installed OWA on the D: drive to keep with a corporate policy for all installed applications. The installation itself went without a hitch, and I was even able to create a new Office Web App farm.  However, when I tried to run any other OWA Powershell command (like Get-OfficeWebAppFarm), I would get the following error:
Get-OfficeWebAppsFarm : The content type text/html; charset=utf-8 of the response message does not match the content type of the binding (application/soap+msbin1). If using a custom encoder, be sure that the IsContentTypeSupported method is implemented properly. The first 1024 bytes of the response were: '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>IIS 8.0 Detailed Error - 500.19 - Internal Server Error</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body{margin:0;font-size:.7em;font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;}
code{margin:0;color:#006600;font-size:1.1em;font-weight:bold;}
.config_source code{font-size:.8em;color:#000000;}
pre{margin:0;font-size:1.4em;word-wrap:break-word;}
ul,ol{margin:10px 0 10px 5px;}
ul.first,ol.first{margin-top:5px;}
fieldset{padding:0 15px 10px 15px;word-break:break-all;}
.summary-container fieldset{padding-bottom:5px;margin-top:4px;}
legend.no-expand-all{padding:2px 15px 4px 10px;margin:0 0 0 -12px;}
legend{color:#333333;;margin:4px 0 8px -12px;_margin-top:0px;
font-weight:bold;font-size:1em;}
a:link,a:visited{color:#007EFF;font-weight:bold;}
a:hover{text-decoration:none;}
h1{font-size:2.4em;margin:0;color:#FFF;}
h2{font-size:1.7em;margin:0'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-OfficeWebAppsFarm
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-OfficeWebAppsFarm], ProtocolException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException,Microsoft.Office.Web.Apps.Administration.GetFarmCommand
Uninstalling Office Web App Server from the D: drive and reinstalling on the default path of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Web App fixed the issue.  Again, this was on Windows Server 2012.  No idea if the same thing happens on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Just an FYI for anyone looking for answers for this specific issue.